Born 30 Mar 1825
Marriage Date: 1853 to Marilda Cass Denton.
Died: 16 Aug 1895
Evergreen Cemetery, Block K-02NW-03, Paris, Lamar
Information from the Historical Narrative accompanying
the Texas Historical Commission marker application:
Samuel Bell Maxey was born March 30, 1825, in Tompkinsville, Monroe County, Kentucky, the
third of four children of Rice and Lucetta Bell Maxey. The Maxeys moved to Albany, Kentucky
in 1834 where Rice Maxey was county clerk.
In 1842 Sam Bell Maxey received an appointment to the U. S. Military Academy at West Point.
Throughout his career at West Point, he ranked near the bottom of his class in all his subjects; he
did, however, develop a proficiency in French. On graduation Maxey was commissioned as a
brevet second lieutenant in the Seventh Infantry Regiment.
Maxey joined the Seventh Infantry in Monterrey, Mexico in October, 1846. In command of a
company of new recruits, he performed well in the battle for Contreras and was breveted first
lieutenant. He participated in the battles of Churubusco and Molino del Rey and commanded a
company of a city police guard in Mexico City. Maxey returned to Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
in June, 1848 and resigned from the army in September, 1849.
Maxey returned to Albany, Kentucky and studied law under his father. He also became involved
in state politics and ran as a Whig for a place in the Kentucky House of Representatives and lost
the race. In April, 1851 he joined his father's law firm and was elected clerk of the circuit and
county courts of Clinton County.
In 1853 Maxey married Marilda Cass Denton and continued to practice law with his father. Their
law practice was increasingly unprofitable, and the Maxey families moved to Texas in 1857. The
Maxeys settled on five acres just south of Paris in October, 1857. Serving a large farming area in
northeast Texas, Paris had been founded by George W. Wright in 1839 and was named the county
seat of Lamar County in 1844.
Rice and Sam Bell Maxey established a legal practice in Paris. The younger Maxey was
appointed district attorney for Lamar County in 1858 and was reelected in 1859 and 1850. He
traveled throughout northeast Texas as prosecutor and attorney while his father stayed in Paris
and tended business there. In 1861 Sam Bell Maxey was elected to the Texas Senate but declined
to serve, preferring instead military service with the Confederacy. Rice Maxey was subsequently
elected to fill the vacancy.
In May, 1861 Maxey organized a group of Paris men to proceed with W. C. Young to lay
Confederate claim to the abandoned Federal forts in Indian Territory. Maxey urged a council of
war composed of whites and Indians at Fort Arbuckle to join the secessionist cause.
On his return to Paris, Maxey completed the organization of his company, the Lamar Rifles. In
September, 1861 the Confederate War Department authorized Maxey to organize a regiment. He
had eight complete companies of infantry and two partial companies camped near Paris by the
end of October. In December, with his Ninth Texas Regiment at 1,120 men, Maxey left Texas to
join Albert Sidney Johnston at Memphis.
The Ninth Texas Infantry joined General P. G. T. Beauregard
at Corinth in March, 1862 and suffered heavy losses in the
battle of Shiloh. Maxey, however, had earlier been assigned
to General John B. Floyd's command at Chattanooga
guarding bridges and roads. Though Maxey rejoined the
Ninth Texas Infantry occasionally, he saw very little action
and was usually in command of support functions such as
guarding roads and bridges and expediting ordnance
In December, 1863 Maxey was assigned command of the
Indian Territory. By this time Federal troops had recaptured
both Fort Gibson and Fort Smith, Arkansas. Maxey's major
concern was preventing Union invasion of north Texas
through Indian Territory; his responsibilities also included
acting as superintendent of Indian affairs. As a result of his
participation in the capture of a 170-wagon Union supply
train, Maxey was promoted to Major General in the spring of
1864. Maxey moved his Indian troops as far north as Kansas
on raiding expeditions. Supplies, especially food, were
Maxey's most difficult problem; both Indians and troops were
ill-supplied and poorly armed throughout the winter of
1864-65. Maxey never solved these problems, neither did his troops fight any major engagements
under his command. On February 21, 1865 Maxey was replaced as commander of the Indian
Territory and given an infantry division stationed near Houston. In May, he asked to be relieved
of his command and returned to Paris; on July 15 Maxey formally surrendered as a prisoner of
war to Major General E. R. S. Canby.
In October, 1865 Maxey began his long struggle to gain the special presidential pardon necessary
for high-ranked ex-Confederate officers. After many denials, Maxey received his pardon on July
20, 1867 through a recommendation from his old West Point classmate, Ulysses S. Grant. His
pardon enabled him to again practice law and participate in Texas politics.
Maxey reopened his law practice in Paris and moved into his new home in 1868 with his wife and
daughter, Dora. The Maxeys had adopted seven-year old Dora Rowell in 1863 after her father,
one of Maxey's men, had been killed at Shiloh. One of Maxey's law partners, William H. H. Long
married Maxey's niece, Mary Susan Gatewood in 1868; in 1869 they had a son, Sam Bell Maxey
Long. After Long's death in 1871, Sam Long and his mother lived with the Maxeys.
In 1872 Maxey ran for the Democratic nomination to a House of Representatives seat in the
Second Congressional District. He lost, placing third behind O. B. Culberson and W. P. McLean.
Though nominated and confirmed in March, 1873 as Judge of the Eighth Judicial District of
Texas, Maxey declined, pleading prior legal commitments to various cases in the court's
On January 28, 1874, after a week of campaigning, the Texas legislature elected Sam Bell Maxey
to the U. S. Senate for a term to begin in March, 1875. Maxey's first Senate committee
assignments were to the Committees on Post Offices and Post Roads, on Territories, and on
Education and Labor.
Maxey, spurred by the need for Indian defense in Texas, urged that Indian Affairs be put under
the jurisdiction of the War Department. Throughout his Senate career, Maxey voted favorably in
military matters and appropriations because of his military background and Indian and Mexican
frontier troubles in Texas. He also supported appropriations for internal improvements and
railroads for Texas.
Maxey, with all the Texas delegation except Congressman Gustavus Schleicher, supported free
silver coinage and repeal of the Resumption Act. His constituency in Texas, as well as most of
the South and West, favored these views. Texas had been slow recovering from the Panic of
1873 and in 1878 was still severely financially troubled.
In 1879 Maxey was appointed to the chairmanship of the Committee on Post Offices and Post
Roads and served on the Military Committee.
Maxey was reelected to the Senate in 1881. In the new Republican Senate, Maxey lost his
chairmanship of the Committee on Post Offices and Post Roads. While on the committee, he had
increased mail services in Texas, had approved increased appropriations for the postal service, but
had ignored the Congressional investigation of mail contract frauds. When the investigation
reached its height in 1881, some Texas newspapers sought to implicate Maxey. The investigation,
however, did not disclose any wrongdoing on his part and he was effectively exonerated of any
guilt or complicity in the matter.
During his second term Maxey worked for extending railroad service through Indian Territory, a
reciprocal trade agreement with Mexico, payment of antebellum southern postal service, rivers
and harbors Improvements, and a bill to determine Texas' northern boundary. Maxey opposed the
Pendleton Act (which provided much-needed civil service reform) and the protectionist tariff; he
believed that Congress could establish taxes only to raise revenue to support the government.
Continuing on the Committee on Post Offices and Post Roads and the Committee for Military
Affairs, he gave up the Committee on Education and Labor in 1884. Maxey supported John H.
Reagan's interstate railroad regulation bill in the Senate.
In 1885 Maxey was assigned to the Committees on Indian Affairs, on Military Affairs, on Post
Offices and Post Roads, and on Coastal Defense. He toured Indian Territory with the Senate
Committee on Indian Affairs looking into the leasing of lands held by Indian tribes. With Maxey
disagreeing, the committee's final report urged President Grover Cleveland to cancel the leases
and force the cattlemen to leave Indian Territory.
During 1886 Maxey reiterated that silver coinage helped debtors, especially poor ones, to repay
their obligations. Thinking of his reelection in 1887, the Senator sought support from the Knights
of Labor and Farmers' Alliance in Texas: he favored breaking trusts, but not destroying the
competitive economic system. He, realistically, did not think either group would support his
reelection to the Senate.
Maxey's campaign in the fall of 1886 stressed a proposal to sell federal lands and distribute the
proceeds to the states for educational purposes. He favored railroad regulation and opposed
monopolies, strikes and the participation of the Knight's of Labor and the Farmers' Alliance in
politics. The Texas Senate, voting for a week, finally elected John H. Reagan to Maxey's Senate
seat on February 1, 1887. On March 3, 1887 Maxey's second term as U. S. Senator from Texas
ended, and he returned to Paris to his family and law practice.
Maxey's years in the Senate were spent representing the local needs of his constituency. He
wanted Texas and the South to recover from Reconstruction as fast as possible and promoted
internal and port improvements for the state. As times and voters changed, and national politics
became more important to individual Texans, Maxey took no large place in government and party
affairs. In 1887 the dynamic John H. Reagan replaced Maxey as U. S. Senator and began a long
tradition of nationally influential Texas Congressmen and Senators.
One of Maxey's contemporaries, William P. Ballinger, described Maxey in his diary (July 6, 1878,
University of Texas Archives, Austin):
[Maxey] strikes me as a man of good judgment & of active energy -- a man of affairs a man of a
certain high tone, honor & frankness, but very versatile & not the most delicate in the use of
means to effect his purposes -- very vain & conceited -- accessible to others where principle is
not involved -- acting a good deal on quid pro quo -- connexion with the old army gives him
certain advantages which [he] avails freely -- and is boastful of his little strategies with
Republican politicians -- He dosen't strike me as a man who will obtain a permanent hold on the
people of this state -- tho' no doubt effective and useful.
When Maxey returned to Texas, he again became active in his law firm with Henry Lightfoot and
Ben Denton, a nephew of Marilda Maxey. Sam Bell Maxey Long began his law studies at the
University of Texas in Austin in 1887. In 1892, Sam Long took Maxey's place in the firm.
Maxey, at 67, was free of debts and could live comfortably in retirement. In 1895 Maxey died of
a gastro-intestinal ailment in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
While Maxey was in the Senate, much of his time was spent in Washington. Mrs. Maxey,
however, did not often accompany him there; she stayed in Paris to oversee the family home and
properties. In 1874 Dora Maxey married Henry Lightfoot, Maxey's then law partner, and they
lived in the Maxey home for several years. About 1877 the Lightfoots built their own home across
Washington Street from the Maxey home. Sam Bell Maxey Long's mother, Mary Susan Long,
married James L. Terrill in 1876, and they also moved out of the Maxey home to a house nearby.
Sallie Lee Lightfoot was born in 1878 and Thomas Chenoweth Lightfoot in 1880. The
grandchildren constantly ran back and forth between the houses and often stayed with the
Maxeys. Sam Bell Long stayed with the Maxeys regularly and often was in Washington with the
Senator. In 1883 Mary Susan (Long) Terrill died, and the Maxeys assumed complete and
permanent care of Sam Long. Dora (Maxey) Lightfoot died in 1884, and the Lightfoot family
moved back into the Maxey household. Lightfoot later married Etta Wooten in 1890; though they
lived in Dallas for a while, Sallie Lee and Tom spent much of their time in Paris with the Maxeys.
Sam Long married Lala Williams in 1894 and they lived with the Maxeys, too. After Maxey's
death in 1895 Sallie Lee moved into the house with Marilda Maxey and the Longs. Marilda
Maxey died at the home in 1908, and Sam Long inherited it and most of the Maxey property.
Long and his wife and Sallie Lee Lightfoot continued to live in the Maxey home, modernizing and
adapting it to their changing needs. Long died In 1948. Lala and Sallie Lee lived almost twenty
years longer; Lala Williams Long died in 1965, and Sallie Lee Lightfoot in 1966. A niece of Mrs.
Long, Alice Fairfax Stone, inherited the house and gave it and the contents to the Lamar County
Historical Society in 1966. The Historical Society operated the house as a county museum until
1972 when it was deeded to the City of Paris in order to utilize a federal Housing and Urban
Development grant for the repair and restoration of the property. In May, 1976 the City of Paris
gave the grounds and home to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for development and
operation as a state historic structure.
DOCUMENTS AND PHOTOGRAPHS
[Note: The documents and photographs mentioned below are not available]
The Sam Bell Maxey House has been modified on both the exterior and interior since its
construction in 1868. (Documentation for this discussion is found in the compilation of
documents and photographs that follow.) The earliest known photograph of the house (Fig. 9)
shows the north facade of the main house. The photograph may have been taken as early as 1879
from the then recently constructed Lightfoot home across present-day Washington Street. The
main block of the house was (and is still) an almost square block surmounted by a hip roof with an
elaborate two-story portico, shuttered windows and paneled chimneys. The cornice, roof and
window treatments also appear much the same as they do today. The rear wing of the house was
then only one story with a hip roof, one paneled chimney, four shuttered windows and a door on
the north facade. The doors and windows were very plain and did not imitate those on the main
block. The Book House had been built by this time since it appears In the background.
The south facade of the main part of the house was identical to the north. The rear wing,
however, had a porch running almost its length (Figs. 14, 16, 17). The porch roof was supported
by square columns and a dormer ornamented the south side of the hip roof of the rear wing.
The first alteration to the house may have been a bathroom installed in 1884 (Document 21). The
room was probably used strictly for bathing. Though its location is not known, it may have been
incorporated into the house in the rear wing near the kitchen.
Room use during the period before 1911 is not known. There was, however, a parlor and a back
parlor, a library, a dining room and kitchen, and perhaps Mrs. Maxey's bedroom on the first floor.
There were also bedrooms on the second floor. What is now the large parlor was probably the
two parlors; the library was likely at its present location in the southeast room of the first floor.
The dining room may have been in the rear wing, and Mrs. Maxey's bedroom may have been the
southwest room of the first floor main block.
In 1892 Maxey had the home and outbuildings painted (Documents 29-32). Photographs
showing the house painted a dark color with lighter trim (Figs. 10, 11, 12) probably derive from
this period. The window shutters were removed. No other alterations are evident from the
photos, but there is an iron fence in front of the house.
At some time before 1909 the house was repainted white (Fig. 13), and brick pylons were
installed that mark the Church Street driveway. By this time there were numerous outbuildings
on the grounds. (Figs. 14, 15, 16, 17, 18). An addition had also been made to the southwest
room on the second floor. A full bathroom now occupies the space, and most likely dates to at
least 1909, if not before, as evidenced by its fixtures. Local informants say that this bathroom was
installed in 1894 to accommodate the newly married Mr. and Mrs. Sam Bell Maxey Long.
In 1911 the Longs undertook a major remodeling and updating project on the house, making It
more livable and stylish. The modifications fall into three major areas: Interior changes in the
main block, interior and exterior changes in the rear wing and landscaping changes.
Originally both floors of the main block of the house had central halls with two almost square
rooms opening on either side. A double fireplace served each set of rooms on either side of the
hall. With the 1911 remodeling the partition between the two rooms on the north side of the first
floor was removed, and the fireplace was moved to the south wall of the enlarged parlor. On the
second floor the fireplace was completely removed; the chimney for the downstairs fireplace,
relocated; and a full bathroom, added between the two upstairs bedrooms. Other changes
included redecorating with maple floors downstairs and wallpaper in some rooms.
The extensive changes in the rear wing altered both the exterior facade and interior floor plan
(Figs. 19, 20, 22). The project added a second floor over two-thirds of the rear wing; it houses a
bathroom, a sewing and ironing room and two large storage rooms as well as a stairway from the
first floor. On the first floor the porch on the south facade was incorporated to make the
sun/breakfast room, enlarge the kitchen and create a butler's pantry. Presently there is a half bath
which may have been installed prior to 1911. Three large storage rooms are in the rear on the
west side. The steam heat system was installed at this time with a boiler in the kitchen basement.
A brick chimney similar to those on the main house acts as a flue for the heating apparatus. The
windows on the north side were all relocated with an additional small window in the downstairs
bathroom. (For further information about the present configuration and facades, see measured
drawings). The south facade on the first floor is dominated by ten casement windows.
The front lawn was altered by the new landscaping. The iron fence was removed from the front
and replaced by a hedge (Figs. 19, 20). The walk from the city-installed sidewalk was relaid with
the bricks in a straight rather than herringbone pattern (Fig. 21). The north and south yards
probably stayed much the same as they had been (Figs. 23, 24, 25).
There have been no major and few minor alterations in the structure since 1911.
The modifications made to the house during the Maxey/Long occupancy did not destroy the
massing and detail of the main house and have not measurably interfered with its architectural
integrity; rather the changes reflect a sensitive accommodation of a loved home to the changed,
Twentieth Century lifestyle of the Longs. Informal dining in the breakfast room, larger social
gatherings in the enlarged drawing room, the demand for modern conveniences of steam heat and
bathrooms as well as changing tastes in interior decoration were all important to the Longs'
increasingly affluent way of life and were well accommodated in the family home.
THE LAMAR COUNTY ECHO, Friday, July 2, 1954: "Echoing... By Margie Lou Hubbard- ...
July, or December, April or November, there's always something here in Paris that withstands the
heat and the cold, the rain and the wind. Always lovely, always hospitable, always serene, and
always beautiful-- an old home-- this time Mrs. Sam Bell Maxey Long's home on Church. But
long years before this old place became 'the Long home' it was 'the Maxey Home.' So back we go
one hundred years."
"It was in 1825 at Tompkinsville, Kentucky, that the future General Sam Bell Maxey was born.
As a small child, the family moved to Albany, Kentucky. From Albany, he entered West Point,
graduating with the class of 1846-- a little early in fact, so that the young 2nd lieutenants could go
at once to take part in the war with Mexico. Another West Pointer of that period was General U.
S. Grant, and he and General Maxey fought together in this war and were later stationed together
at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. This friendship later meant much to General Maxey."
"After a number of years in the army, General Maxey returned to Kentucky and began to study
law. Then, as a young lawyer, almost 100 years ago, in 1857, he arrived in Paris."
"On what is now Church Street, he bought 5 acres of land. He had married Miss Marilda Denton,
in Kentucky, and the first years in Paris the Maxeys lived opposite their 5 acres and planned for
the home they expected to build. Before that day came, however, we were involved in the Civil
War. General Maxey went to Richmond, Virginia for his commission in the Confederate Army,
and returned home to organize the 9th Texas Company."
"At the close of the war, he came back to Paris with, as he said, '75 cents in his pocket and his
mule.' The Carpet Baggers were in control, and when General Maxey went to the courthouse, he
was told that as a traitor to his country, he would not be allowed to practice in any court in the
land. He announced that they would discover that he could. General Maxey got to New Orleans,
went by boat up the Mississippi, arrived finally in Washington, secured a signed certificate from
General Grant, got home to Paris and began the practice of law. One of his first law suits was
representing a rich Indian named Jones who had all his fortune tied up in cotton that he couldn't
sell. General Maxey took the case on a contingent fee and when he collected the fee, he used the
money o build his home. He hired an architect from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and in 1867,
construction began. Material was hauled overland from Jefferson, Texas - to which point it was
brought by boat. The carved detail work for the house was done in New Orleans, and was also
shipped to Jefferson, then hauled to Paris. Plaster 'beds' were constructed on the grounds and
during the two years the house was being built, plaster was made, mixed and stirred. Since all
interior walls were of plaster, this alone was a big undertaking."
"The Milwaukee architect had designed a very beautiful curving stairway. Inexperienced local
workmen were unable to construct such a thing; so a straight stairway was built. Fifteen foot
ceilings and 20 square foot rooms went into this house. Every room had a fireplace and there
were 6 bedrooms."
"And now a word about these bedrooms. Naturally, they were always occupied. The Maxey's
latch-key hung outside. They themselves were staunch Baptists, but ministers of all faiths stayed
in their home. Once an Episcopalian minister came for a short visit and remained two years."
"Relatives from Kentucky came for a tentative few weeks and stayed months or years. A local
hotel proprietor was reported to have said, 'The Maxeys are going to close out my hotel.' And
many distinguished people were guests in the Maxey home."
"A large smoke house and a fine orchard contributed to the hospitality of the home. Beyond the
house, too, was a big cellar where General Maxey had a nearby well dug especially to pump water
into big cellar containers in which milk was kept cold and perishable foods kept fresh."
"Today the same dining room chairs are used that General Maxey bought in New Orleans, and a
pair of exquisite old vases have an honored place on the drawing room mantle. These are only a
few of the many original furnishings you still see in the old home. But we must mention that the
General's sword hangs in...." [the remainder is missing]
Excerpt from biography in GENERALS IN GRAY, by Bruce S. Allardice, Baton Rouge:
Louisiana State University Press, 1995: ". . . In 1857 he and his father, who was also an attorney,
moved to Texas, where they practiced in partnership until the outbreak of the Civil War.
Resigning a seat in the Texas senate, the younger Maxey organized the 9th Texas Infantry, and
with rank of colonel joined the forces of General Albert Sidney Johnston in Kentucky. He was
promoted brigadier general to rank from March 4, 1862. He served in East Tennessee, at Port
Hudson, and in the Vicksburg campaign, under General J. E. Johnston. In December 1863 Maxey
was placed in command of Indian Territory, and for his effective reorganization of the troops
there, with which he participated in the Red River campaign, he was assigned to duty as a major
general by General Kirby-Smith on April 18, 1864. He was not, however, subsequently appointed
to that rank by the President. After the war, General Maxey resumed the practice of law in Paris,
Texas, and in 1873 declined appointment to the state bench. Two years later he was elected to the
United States Senate, where he served two terms, being defeated for re-election in 1887. He died
at Eureka Springs, Arkansas, August 16, 1895, and is buried in Paris, Texas."
Excerpt from B&L, Vol. 3, "THE CONQUEST OF ARKANSAS", (including the battles of
Prairie Grove and the capture of Arkansas Post, Helena, and Little Rock.) by Colonel Thomas L.
Snead. p.459: ". . .General Price was then put in temporary command of what was left of the
District of Arkansas---that small portion of the State which lies south of a line drawn east and
west through Camden.
General Price's lines extended from Monticello in the east to the Indian Territory in the west,
where General Samuel B. Maxey (who, from March 1875, til March, 1887, represented Texas in
the United States Senate) had a mixed command of Texans and Indians, some two thousand
Excerpt from B&L, Vol.3, "Jefferson Davis and the Mississippi Campaign." (including the
Vicksburg Campaign, battles of Jackson, Port Hudson, and Jackson) by Joseph E. Johnston,
General, C.S.A. p.478: ". . . He (Major Mims, chief quartermaster of the Confederate Dept. of
Mississippi) said further that Colonel Wirt Adams, of the cavalry, had informed him that General
Pemberton's forces were at Edward's depot, 20 miles from Vicksburg, and his headquarters at
Bovina, 8 miles from that place; that the Seventeenth Corps (McPherson's) had moved that day
from Raymond to Clinton, 9 or 10 miles from Jackson on the road to Vicksburg. He added that
General Maxey's Brigade from Port Hudson was expected in Jackson next day. (Compiler's
comment: This was on May 10, 1863 at the beginning of the siege of Vicksburg, MS)
Ibid. p.480 - in reference to General Johnston's order to General Pemberton to evacuate
Vicksburg (May 17, 1863 and Johnston's movement from Jackson toward Canton, MS.) ". . .
The investment of the place (Jackson) was completed on the 19th; on the 20th Gist's brigade from
Charleston, on the 21st Ector's and McNair's from Tennessee, and on the 23rd Maxey's From Port
Hudson joined Gregg's and Walkers near Canton. . . . These troops, except the cavalry, having
come by railroad, were not equipped for the service before them: that of rescuing the garrison of
Vicksburg. They required artillery, draught horses and mules, wagons, ammunition, and
provisions, all in large numbers and quantity; the more because it was necessary to include the
Vicksburg troops in our estimates."
Excerpt from B&L, Vol.4, "The Defense of the Red River", by E. Kirby Smith, General, C.S.A. p.
370: ". . . As soon as I received intelligence of the debarkation of the enemy at Simsport, I
ordered General Price, who commanded in Arkansas, to dispatch his entire infantry, consisting of
Churchill's and Parson's divisions, to Shreveport, and General Maxey to move toward General
Price, and, as soon as Steele advanced, to join Price with his whole command, Indians included.
Excerpt from B&L, Vol.4: "Resume of Military Operations in Missouri and Arkansas, 1864-65."
by Wiley Britton, 6th Kansas Cavalry, p375: ". . . After the battle of Jenkin's Ferry (April 30,
1864), instead of making preparations to attack the Federal forces at Little Rock and Fort Smith,
(Gen. Sterling) Price commenced organizing his forces for an expedition into Missouri to be led
by him in person. The Confederate troops under Cooper, Maxey, and Gano, in the Indian
Territory and western Arkansas, were to make demonstrations against Fort Smith and Fort
Gibson, and the line of communication between these points and Kansas, while another part of the
Confederate army was to threaten Little Rock."
Excerpt from THE LIFE OF JOHNNY REB, p. 374-375: "When General Van Dorn began his
campaign for the relief of Missouri in 1862, four regiments and two battalions had been formed
from among the trans-Mississippi red men and half-breeds. Later a fifth regiment and several
battalions were created. In the latter part of 1864 the Indian troops were organized into three
brigades. These were: The first Brigade, composed of Cherokees, Chickasaws, and Osages,
commanded by Chief Stand Watie, a valiant officer of whom General S. B. Maxey said, 'I wish I
had as much energy in some of my white commanders as he displays'. . ."
Did Maxey Have His Own Regimental Flag? Visit Sam Bell Maxey Historical Home and Park Return to 9th Texas Infantry Biographies Return to Confederate Soldiers of Northeast Texas
Did Maxey Have His Own Regimental Flag?
Visit Sam Bell Maxey Historical Home and Park
Return to 9th Texas Infantry Biographies
Return to Confederate Soldiers of Northeast Texas