By Benny Calvit
RR 3, Box 458
De Kalb, TX. 75559
William John Thomas Littlejohn was born 15 November 1828, in Jonesville, Union County, South
Carolina, the son of William, (born 28 July 1798, died 12 December 1865) and Elizabeth
Lipscomb Littlejohn, (born 7 July 1802, died 16 July 1860).
He enlisted in the Confederate Army in northeast Texas as Captain, Company G, 29th Texas
He first married about 1857 probably in South Carolina to Henrietta Rebecca ?? (born 31 August
1839, died 21 December 1872, buried Littlejohn Cemetery, Chicota, Lamar County, Texas.)
Children of W. J. T. and Henrietta R. Littlejohn were:
1. Nancy Littlejohn b: February 06, 1858 in Union Co., South Carolina, d: November 26, 1871.
2. Charles Littlejohn b: February 04, 1860 in Union Co., South Carolina, d: February 03, 1953,
married Louella Boroughs b: February 05, 1882 in Tennessee, d: March 02, 1956.
3. T. A. Littlejohn b: February 3, 1863 in Lamar Co., Texas, d: January 13, 1866.
4. Susan Lucinda Littlejohn b: February 26, 1866 in Texas, d: May 05, 1915, married Henry C.
Pierson b: March 12, 1852 in Lamar Co., Texas, m: January 14, 1886 in Lamar Co., Texas, d:
November 04, 1889. The second Husband of Susan Lucinda Littlejohn was Joseph H. Calvit b:
February 1860 in Mississippi, m: September 17, 1893 in Lamar Co., Texas.
5. Lettie Littlejohn b: November 28, 1867 in Lamar Co., Texas, d: June 19, 1874
6. Mollie Littlejohn b: August 05, 1870 in Lamar Co., Texas, d: November 20, 1871 in Lamar
7. Sene Littlejohn b: December 8, 1882 in Lamar Co., Texas, d: August 13, 1889.
8. William Henry Littlejohn b: December 21, 1872 d: July 29, 1873.
Only two children, Charlie and Susan Lucinda Littlejohn lived to maturity.
Henrietta died on 21 Dec 1872, apparently of complications during the birth of William Henry
William John Thomas Littlejohn married a second time to Nannie Harris b: September 11, 1847
in Lamar Co., Texas, m: October 16, 1873 in Lamar, Texas, d: November 19, 1893.
William and Nannie had the following children:
9. Sinia S. B. Littlejohn b: December 08, 1882 in Lamar Co., Texas, d: August 13, 1889 in
10. Milton C. Littlejohn b: August 05, 1875 in Lamar Co., Texas, married Bell Grimes b:
February 1877 in Arkansas, m: January 07, 1894 in Lamar Co., Texas.
11. Perry Littlejohn b: 1878 in Lamar Co., Texas.
12. Ethel Littlejohn b: 1880 in Lamar Co., Texas, married Luther Bunn.
13. Jennie V. Littlejohn b: January 1886 in Texas, married (Unknown?) Orton
Captain W. J. T. Littlejohn lived on the bluff bank in Chicota, Texas over looking the Red River
bottom land in which he owned several hundred acres. He was a successful farmer. The
Littlejohn family moved to Lamar County, Texas in the 1850's from South Carolina and settled in
Chicota, north of Paris on the rich black land bottoms that he farmed.
He was a generous man, giving my Great Grandfather, Joseph Harrison Calvit, a runaway from
the poverty of war stricken Mississippi, a job working on the farm. There, Joseph met and
married Captain Littlejohn's daughter, Susan Lucinda Littlejohn. I am a 4th generation from this
union and I am proud of my Great Great Grandfather in serving the Confederacy, and his country,
as an officer in the Cavalry of Texas.
William John Thomas Littlejohn died on 19 August 1890, in Chicota, Lamar County, Texas and
was buried in the Littlejohn Cemetery, in the same community.
Much of the children information comes from the Records of Arlie J. Stiles, 1115 Edgemont Rd., Emmett, ID 83617, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
©Ron Brothers and Benny Calvit, All Rights Reserved, 2000.
21 Oct 2004
Return to 29th Texas Cavalry Biographies Return to 29th Texas Cavalry Main Page
Return to 29th Texas Cavalry Biographies
Return to 29th Texas Cavalry Main Page