A. J. Horton joined for duty in Company K, 9th Texas Infantry and enrolled 28 Sept 1861 at
Tollet's Prairie by Miles A. Dillard for a period 12 months. On the Company Muster-in Roll of 1
Dec 1861 he was 46 years old serving as a Private in Capt. Miles A. Dillard's Company, Maxey's
Regiment Texas Infantry, stationed at Camp Rusk, Lamar County, Texas.
He next appears on a Register of Sick in Overton General Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee as
having died 16 Feb 1862. No cause of death is listed.
He is buried in Confederate Soldiers Rest, Elmwood Cemetery, Memphis, TN.
A. J. Horton married my third great-grandmother Emily Morgan after her first husband
died/disappeared between 1857-60.
A. J. Horton was born about 1815. On 10 Jul 1860 he married Emely Morgan (Emily Caroline
Scott.) She was born 19 Oct 1824 in Decatur Co., Alabama; died 5 Feb 1901 and is buried in
McDonald Cemetery in Lamar Co., Texas. Emily Caroline Scott was first married to John Henry
Morgan, born about 1829, Virginia; died? between 1857-1860 in Texas. John and Emily married
in Lamar Co., Texas.
I am descended from Emily and her first husband John Henry Morgan. I don't know anymore
about A. J. except what I found out from his Civil War records - which consisted of 1 sheet of
paper, and his marriage record to my third great-grandmother.
A. J. Horton and Emily Caroline Scott had a daughter named Mary F. Horton born 20 May 1861
in Lamar County. Mary Horton married William A. J. Hagood on 27 Dec 1877 in Lamar Co.,
Texas and had the following children:
1. Milas M. Haygood, b. 5 Oct 1878; d. 1 Mar 1901, McDonald Cemetery, Lamar Co., Texas.
2. Joseph W. Haygood, b. Jun 1881. He married Hester. Children of Joseph Haygood and
Hester were: Joe Bill Haygood, Mosette Haygood and Irene Haygood, b. abt. 1905.
3. Alonzo D. Haygood, b. 6 Nov 1883; d. 7 Feb 1901, McDonald Cemetery, Lamar Co., Texas.
4. Sallie C. Haygood, b. Jan 1887.
5. Mary F. Haygood, b. Jan 1890, Texas. She Married Daniel Webster Gilbert, son of Eliza V.
Gilbert. He was born 22 Sep 1887 in Mississippi. Children of Mary Haygood and Daniel Gilbert
were: Herman Wesley Gilbert, b. 15 Aug 1912, Hood Co., Texas, Thurman William Gilbert, b.
15 Aug 1912, Hood Co., Texas, and Maggie Gilbert, b. abt. 1908, Hood Co., Texas.
6. Liddea A. Haygood, b. Aug 1896.
7. Cora M. Haygood, b. Feb 1898.
8. Billie Haygood, b. 1 Oct 1899; d. 2 Apr 1900, McDonald Cemetery, Lamar Co., Texas.
9. J. J. Haygood, b. 10 Nov 1894; d. 22 Feb 1895, McDonald Cemetery, Lamar Co., Texas.
©Ron Brothers and Linda Sartin, All Rights Reserved, 1999.
July 1, 1999
Return to 9th Texas Infantry Biographies Return to 9th Texas Infantry
Return to 9th Texas Infantry Biographies
Return to 9th Texas Infantry