Wright's Chapel Cemetery, Red River County, TX
Wright's Chapel Cemetery is actually located in Red River County.
From Detroit go south for 7.2 miles to the intersection with CR 1237. Take the country lane which is designated as CR 1237 for 1.3 miles west, turning right or north onto CR 1226 for 5/10 miles and then turning left or west for 1.3 miles. The cemetery is just east of the house in the pasture and to the south about 150 yards.
From the records of Elizabeth Booth: "The Wright Family Cemetery is near the Lamar and Red River county border about 1/2 mile from the Burchinal family burial ground. The [Burchinal and Wright] farms joined. Members of the Singleton Family are buried here also according to information received from Rose Agnes Burchinal Miller.' Mrs. Booth also noted the following about the family, 'Bertie Wright married Tom Cross- a son of William 'Bill' Cross. Mr. Oliver Wright, of Deport, does not know much about him. There is no stone at John W. Wright's grave [his grandfather]. James Wright, a nephew is the son of Tom Wright."
It is unclear how many graves are in this cemetery. It appears the oldest known grave is that of Lovice R. Massey who died in 1854 at the age of 16 years. In the summer of 1993 Butch and Betsy Mills revisited the grave site and brought the total number of graves up to 24. The cemetery is about 3 miles north of Deport, east of the road about 250 feet, near Mustang Creek. They also found a stone for John W. Wright. Some of the graves that Elizabeth Booth had alluded to were not found by the Mills, and are presumed to have been from the knowledge of family members.
From information provided by Lawrence and Sue Dale: This cemetery is located in the southwest quadrant of Red River County, Texas. See the Red River County Cemetery Map for the mapped location. According to the current landowner Sam Wright, the west fenceline of the cemetery is the Lamar Co TX line. GPS readings taken at the county line on Hwy 82 (95 Deg 18.652W) and Hwy 271 (95 Deg 18.639W) reveal that the cemetery is, indeed, just inside Red River County. From Detroit go south for 7.2 miles to the intersection with CR 1237. Take the country lane which is designated as CR 1237 for 1.3 miles west, turning right or north onto CR 1226 for 5/10 miles and then turning left or west for 1.3 miles. The cemetery is just east of the house in the pasture and to the south about 150 yards. The oldest marked burial is that of Oscar D. McMillin who died on 19 May 1882. On a morning threatening rain, 9 May 2000, Lawrence and Sue Dale, accompanied by Sam Wright, surveyed this cemetery. The name for this burial ground comes from the family name as well as from the school that was located nearby, ie, Wrights Chapel, on the Lamar Co TX side. According to Sam, there has never been a church in the immediate vicinity. The most recent burial is that of Sam's son in 1991. Sam thinks that maybe he will be buried there as well., Deport Times, 12 Dec 1940, Thursday, from microfilm in the Clarksville Library: VANDALS DIG INTO GRAVE AT WRIGHT CHAPEL CEMETERY -- Three miles north of Deport is located a very old cemetery, known as the Wright Chapel cemetery, established by the father of John W. Wright as a family burial plot many years ago. Later others asked permission to bury there, which was granted. A recent inspection showed that someone had been digging into one of the graves in a portion of the two-acre plot, where no one has been buried for more than a quarter of a century. So far as Mr. Wright knows, no persons have ever been buried in the plot with any kind of gold or other precious metals on their bodies, and he is unable to account for any reason that would prompt a vandal to dig into one of the graves. On a cold morning, 11 Jan 2003, the GPS position was taken and hopefully the question as to the location for this cemetery, ie, in Red River County, can now be put to rest. We also did a re-walk of the cemetery on 20 Dec 2003 looking for new burials and noting marker changes. As of 31 Dec 2004 this cemetery had 21 documented burials.
GPS COORDINATES: Datum WGS84: 33 Deg 34.139N, 95 Deg 18.607W. This is to the west side of the cemetery. It is marked on the current Texas State maps of RRCo TX and is just inside the line in RRCo TX.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.