Wood Cemetery, Lamar County, TX

Wood Cemetery is in the southwest quadrant of the county. It has not been found by the compiler and could be in Block 53 or 54 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.

From the records of Elizabeth Booth: Located near Roxton in the southwest quadrant of the county. Dr. Preston Wood came to Texas in the 1850's from Virginia. He completed construction of a plantation home in 1887. After the War Between The States, Dr. Wood married twice, and both wives were sisters, believed to be McGlasson girls. Three children of his first wife and his son Wendle, along with an unknown adult are buried in the original headright. None have death dates. One of Dr. Wood's sisters, Catherine, married Henry R. Johnson. At the time of the recording these children of Catherine and Henry survived; Millard, Betty Johnson Holding of Roxton, Mrs. A. C. McClure of Honey Grove, and Mrs. R. A. Roden of Paris. Dr. Wood admired bisque figurines and often bought them as gifts for his children. He was also a cabinet maker and built a beautiful brocquet. Today this brocquet holds many of these figurines and other antiques. The original home was built with bay windows extending from the upper to the lower floor level. The ceilings were hand painted around the chandeliers. In the early 1900's a storm blew most of the roof away and damaged the west side of the home to the extent the Dr. Wood replaced the fire place with a large bay window. Huge boulders are used for walkways and steps. The porch with the impressive pillars reach the entire length of the house. Ornate gingerbread or pie crust trim edges the porch and windows. Massive hand split cedar beams and boulders form a foundation for this stately old home. A wrought iron fence encloses the once formal gardens and home which would today be an antique lovers delight. The preceding information was given to Elizabeth Booth by Millard and Bess Johnson in 1970.

GPS coordinates are not available.

 

Photograph of the Cemetery Is Not Available

 

To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.

To return to the map page, click here.

To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.