Sumner Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Sumner Cemetery is sometimes called Emberson Cemetery. It is located on Lamar County Road 34650 in the northwest quadrant of the county. It is 9.8 miles by road from the intersection of Highway 79 and Loop 286. It is in Block 14 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. At the time of its recording by Ron Brothers and Roberta Woods on 11 Dec 1993 the land was on the private, property of Dr. J.R. Jackson and permission had to be obtained to enter. There is no road sign and the cemetery is one mile north of the curve of the road where the road runs north and turns to the west.
The Sumner Branch of Craddock Creek is its eastern boundary, a stock tank or pond marks the southern boundary, and the cemetery occupies about one heavily wooded acre. Because of the undergrowth and leaf covered ground there is an undetermined number of graves with possibly as many as 50 or more graves marked by bois d'arc posts. The oldest burial is that of J. W. Kirby who died 23 Apr 1840. There are 64 records of burial.
Photograph of the Cemetery Is Not Available
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.