Strother Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Strother Cemetery is sometimes called Price Cemetery. A cemetery is incorrectly referenced as the Price Cemetery in LOST, ABANDONED, FAMILY AND SMALL COMMUNITY CEMETERIES by Patricia Armstrong Newhouse. All entries from that publication are in the Strother Cemetery.
The cemetery is located in a pasture in the northwest quadrant of the county. It is on County Road 35500 in Block 29 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. Take Farm Market Road 79 toward Sumner and take a left onto Farm to Market Road 2820. Follow FM 2820 to County Road 35500 and take a right. Follow County Road 35500 a quarter of a mile and the cemetery is on the left hand side. NOTE: This cemetery is incorrectly labeled on county maps as Cottonwood Cemetery.
Records are contributed by Earl P. Price, Jr. M.D. of Ft. Worth, TX. It is fenced, but overgrown with weeds, and many stones are lying in the dirt. The cemetery is on land originally granted to William Henry Hobbs about 1840 from the Republic of Texas. According to Mildred Sheffy, Hereford, TX., he moved to Cooke County about 1863 and died there about 1880. The tombstone of America Hobbs is an oval sandstone, lying in the dirt and weathered almost beyond recognition. It is the oldest burial. Tranquilla Simmons Price, wife of William Henry Hobbs, and niece of Daniel M. Price, is also said to be buried here, although no stone has been found for her.' There are 24 graves including the unknowns.
GPS coordinates are 33° 42' 40.3668" N, -95° 47' 5.8734" W (33.7112133 Latitude and -95.7849653 Longitude).
Photo below courtesy of Justin Gallant.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To view pictures of the headstones, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.