Stelltown Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
The exact location of Stelltown Cemetery is not known except by a few as the markers were bulldozed and all traces of the cemetery have been lost.. It is in the southeast quadrant of the county in in the community of the same name which no longer exists. It is in Block 41 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
A marker has been erected on FM 905 that reads: "Stelltown Cemetery - .25 mile east is old Stelltown Cemetery. The present landowner bulldozed it and will not allow visitors, contrary to Texas law." The cemetery would have been near the northern edge of what is in 1995, the Marvin Community. Take FM 905 northwest toward Marvin. The marker is about 2 miles down on FM 905 on the left (north) side of the road, against the barbed wire fence.
GPS coordinates (for the marker) are 33° 36' 54.0526" N, 95° 29' 11.3132" W. (33.6150146 Latitude and -95.4864759 Longitude)
Stelltown was named for Jeremiah Stell. He was born about 1760 probably in Prince George County, Virginia. He served in the American Revolution and is Lamar County's only known Revolutionary War patriot. He married Sally Lewis Wynne October 19, 1786 in Amelia County, Virgina. The family moved to Georgia and in 1830, he moved to the part of Red River County, Texas that became Lamar County in 1840. Jeremiah Stell died before December 1845 and he is believed to be buried on his farm located near the community of Marvin, Texas. His grave appears to have been lost to time.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.