Roland Cemetery #2, Lamar County, TX
Parts of the descriptions of Roland #1 and Roland #2 are duplicated in both records because of the closeness of the two cemeteries. Cemetery #2 is located 1.5 miles south of State Highway 82 East on Farm Market Road 2121. Go about 1.5 miles and the cemetery is on the left about 200 feet off the road directly behind the home of Kevin Gillie in 1993, in a stand of trees. It is in Block 42 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
From the traffic signal in Reno on Hwy 82, take Hwy 82 easterly for 1.6 miles to the intersection with FM 2121. Take FM 2121 south for 1.7 miles and the cemetery is on the left in a stand of trees.
GPS Coordinates are 33° 38' 41.2296'' N, 95° 25' 56.1216'' W. (33.644786 Latitude and -95.432256)
From the records of Elizabeth Booth: "There is knowledge of 5 graves for the Roland cemetery that would have been in the southeast quadrant of the county." The oldest grave being the unmarked grave of John William Phillips who died 9 Aug 1871. There could have been two Roland cemeteries in the Sylvan area. According to Nancy Webb Wood, 408 Lilac Dr., El Dorado, AR, 71730, writing on 24 Sep 1994 there were two cemeteries, the first one has been destroyed. See record of Sherrod Roland for more detail.
All evidence of the second is destroyed. Lamar County headright surveys show the Sherrod Roland heirs acquired 4,506 acres southeast of Paris. Sherrod Roland was born in Montgomery County, N.C. ca. 1788 and died 18 Nov 1848 in Lamar County. He married in 1819 in Morgan County Alabama, to Elizabeth Pace who was born 17 May 1801 and died 1876 at Sylvan. They came to Red River County about 1834. Afterward they came to Lamar County where they resided the remainder of their lives. Elizabeth remained unmarried after her husbands death. Sherrod never made application for the bounty of land due him for 3-6 months service he made in the War of 1812. She applied in 1861 under the act of March 3, 1855. The declarant appointed J.D. Wright to prosecute her claim. This record was found in Austin, TX. Archives, not in Lamar County.
In LOOSE LEAVES OF THE HISTORY OF LAMAR COUNTY by Ed H. McCuistion: "Sherrod Roland built, what is believed to be the first corn and wheat mill in the county, located 1/2 mile south of Sylvan, near the old Roland family cemetery. He co-signed the affidavit with Tom Gregg, that Alexander Graham came to the valley in 1836." Sherrod Roland donated the land and had built the first church house in Lamar County in 1846 (Lamar County Deed Book D, p. 11) known as Old Mulberry Church of Christ and also as a school.
Record of the cemetery is also found in the Daughters of the American Revolution Cemetery Collection compiled in 1940, parts of which were donated by the Joseph Ligon Chapter of Paris and copied by Sallie Lee Lightfoot of Paris. The book was located in the Corsicana Genealogical Library, Corsicana, TX, and copied by Betsy Mills and Elizabeth House. Only one grave was recorded in the record.
In 1993 Butch and Betsy Mills and Carmen Lee Burks enumerated the cemetery and updated the records. The following persons are known to be buried here: John William Phillips 25 May 1825 - 9 Aug 1871 (not marked), Carrie Roland 22 Oct 1877 - 17 Nov 1877, Eva Roland 31 Jan 1884 - 29 Nov 1884, Harriet R. Hancock Roland 31 Jul 1848 - 12 Aug 1888 and Tommie Roland 28 Dec 1878 - 30 Dec 1878.
Photograph of the Cemetery Is Not Available
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.