Pyles Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Pyles Cemetery is located in the northwest quadrant of the county about 16 miles northeast of Paris, on Farm Market Road #78 between Unity and East Direct Communities. It is in Block 13 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
In Paris, from the intersection of Loop 286 Northwest and FM 79, take FM 79 westerly for 14.8 miles to the intersection with a country lane on the right or north. There is a highway sign as well as the cemetery overhead sign on the highway. Take the country lane for 2/10 miles and you are in the cemetery.
GPS coordinates are 33° 46' 53.6160'' N, 95° 47' 0.8880'' W (33.78156 Latitude and -95.78358 Longitude)
There are 531 graves including the 134 unknown graves which are mostly marked by wood stakes. The oldest inscribed grave is that of J. Moore who died 1 Jan 1871.
Mrs. Mildred Lee Kennedy Hopkins enumerated this cemetery on 2 Aug 1962 and it was published in Vol. #2. No. 3. (Fall 1966) of the Mesquite Historical and Genealogical Society Quarterly [now out of print]. A copy of her enumeration was checked against the enumeration done by Debbie Anderson, Ron Brothers, Patricia Ferguson, Ruth Renfro and Roberta Woods in October 1991. Any discrepancies or additions between the two appear in these records.
Photographs below courtesy of Lawrence and Sue Dale.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.