Presbyterian Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Presbyterian Cemetery is located in the northwest quadrant of the county. It is about a mile from the intersection of Farm Market Road 906 and 197. It is on County Road 35850 in Block 8 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
According to the CHICOTA, TEXAS 1835-1985 by Roberta Woods and Ruth Renfro, the church was started by a group from the Bethany Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church of York County South Carolina, who came to Lamar County 14 Dec 1881 in chartered railroad freight cars. They originally settled in the southwest portion of the county near Howland but in early 1883 moved to the Chicota area. A Methodist friend, John T. Wilkins, gave land for the church and his cousin, Mrs. E. C. 'Elizabeth' Wilkins gave the land for a schools and the cemetery.
The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Ada McKey, who died 29 Aug 1878. This does not concur with the year the church was established. Charter members of the church were J. J. L. Gill, his wife Rebecca; Robert A. Black, and his wife Martha, and daughter Mamie Black; and Mr. V. Lowrance. Ruth Renfro has supplied many maiden names of the interred. There are 387 graves including the unknowns.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.