Nixon Cemetery - Maxey Community, Lamar County, TX
Nixon Cemetery is found in LOST, ABANDONED, FAMILY and SMALL COMMUNITY CEMETERIES, a compilation of cemetery listings copied between 1930 and 1965, published and edited by Patricia Armstrong Newhouse, Honey Grove, TX: '...located west of Maxey on the land of the late Thomas Nixon near Farm Market Road 2352... copied in 1971.' More precisely, the cemetery is located 11.9 miles by road from the intersection of Loop 286 and Highway 79, in the woods north of Highway 38 or Farm Market Road 2352, in the northwest quadrant of the county. It is also .6 mile due west of Lamar County Road 35400. It was once marked by a green state highway cemetery sign but sometime in 1991 was removed and a no trespassing sign posted on the gate that led to the site.
In 2011, the land is owned by Max Fair who has built a house on the property. The cemetery is on private property and can only be accessed by permission of the owner. GPS coordinates are 33° 42' 16.17 N, 95° 40' 44.33 W.
It is in Block 29 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. There are 33 known graves there. The oldest inscribed grave is that of Lavina English Nixon, who died 20 Jul 1867.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To view headstone pictures for this cemetery, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.