McGlasson Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
McGlasson Cemetery is located in the southwest quadrant of the county, southeast
of Roxton, 2.9 miles from the intersection of Farm Market Road 137 and Farm
Market Road 2675 and marked with a state highway sign. It is in Block 54 of
the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised
December 1993. The cemetery is near the location of old Fort Shelton, one of
the first settlements in the county. Because of this it could be the oldest
burial ground in Lamar County with many graves long past recognition. It was
recorded 21 Feb 1993 by Patricia Ferguson, Roberta Woods and Ron Brothers. At
that time it was quite overgrown with brush, fallen trees and other debris and
many graves could have gone undetected. Nevertheless, 160 graves were found.
The oldest inscribed stone in the cemetery is that of Lucy J. Wood who died
The 1989 General Highway Map of Lamar County, revised to May 1, 1992, incorrectly refers to a cemetery located west of Roxton as McGlasson Cemetery when in fact it is Lee Roxton Cemetery.
GPS coordinants 33.51860 Latitude and 95.68580 Longitude.
From the intersection of Hwy 19 & 24 south of Paris and the intersection with FM 1184 take FM 1184 westerly for 2.6 miles to the intersection with CR 24200, Take CR 24200 westerly for 1.8 miles to the intersection with CR 24240. Take CR 24240 westerly for 9/10 miles to the intersection with CR 24280. Take CR 24280 southerly for 2/10 miles and west for 6/10 miles. The cemetery is on the right in an old stand of trees at the top of the hill.
Tony and Elizabeth Booth recorded the cemetery between Jan. 1, 1971 through Jan. 9, 1971. Contact Mary Evelyn McGlasson of Roxton, Texas for more information.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.