McDonna Cemetery, Lamar County, TX

McDonna Cemetery is in the northeast quadrant of the county. It was also called Owsley Hill Cemetery by Elizabeth Booth. It is located 5.6 miles from Highway #271 north, on FM #906, about 100 yards to the north of the road. It is in Block 10 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. In 1996 there was a barbed wire gate which lead to a wagon type trail through the woods.

From the records of Elizabeth Booth: 'From the Hal Womack home, on Farm Market Road 906, traveling west, one will find three knolls. From the first knoll and about 300 feet, maybe 400, to the north, are some willow trees. To the east of these willows, 25 to 50 feet is one marked grave, perhaps there were others. The monument base is about 15 inches by 15 inches, topped by another square, about 13 inches by 13 inches upon which a small shaft had been mounted. The shaft was on the ground. Mrs. Betty Womack and Birdie Reed gave this information on Nov. 5 1978. It is believed Fannie Wright, a black woman, is also buried near McDonna. Washington McDonna is the only marked grave there. He died 21 Apr 1890.'

In 1995 Thelma Dangerfield found the cemetery and shared the records she discovered. The grave of Washington McDonna was not located and this grave yard could be a different one. Thelma told that Blacks working on the Womack place long ago would pass down a trail that split the cemetery on the way to work the fields. The surviving markers are spread out so far apart that it appears there could have been more than 100 graves at one time. The area is heavily wooded and lies atop hills with deep ravens by which a creek flows through. Nine graves have been identified with the oldest grave being that of A. A. Dickson who died in 1865.

 

To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.

To return to the map page, click here.

To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.