McDonald Black Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
McDonald Black Cemetery is located in the southwest quadrant of the county, near Cherry Creek in the Broadway Junction community, about 1/2 mile from the intersection of State Highway 19 and 24 on Farm Market Road #1184. It is in Block 55 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. The oldest inscribed grave is that of Lura Brackeen who died 19 Aug 1872. The cemetery is separated from McDonald Cemetery by barbed wire and is situated immediately to the north in a grove of trees. It is not maintained and cattle continue to destroy what little remains of this burial ground. It is highly likely that the grave yard is as old as the other McDonald Cemetery, as slaves were probably buried here, but no antibellum markers remain. There is room for up to 100 graves but only 15 had tombstones or markers. It was recorded on April 1, 1995 by Butch and Betsy Mills.
The following persons are known to be buried here: Billy Bills died 30 May
1887, Johnney Bills died 1873, Jonney Bills 25 Aug 1819 - May 1880, Anderson
Brackeen 19 Jan 1881 - 25 Aug 1903, Catherin Brackeen Jun 1849 - Jul 18??, Emer
Brackeen 12 Aug 1874 - 9 Apr 1897, Lura Brackeen 7 Mar 1872 - 19 Aug 1872, Margaret
Brackeen 7 Feb 1845 - 7 Dec 1937, E. C. footstone, Bailey Morgan 2 Aug 1849
- 15 Feb 1894, Ben Morgan 1866 - 1888, Patsy Roberson 2 Feb 1877 - 4 Jul 1897,
Fay Rolerson 2 Mar 1880 - 8 Jun 1881, Child Rolison 7 Mar 1879 - 8 Sep 1889
and Nancy Rolison 11 May 1868 - 29 Aug 1888.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.