Mallory Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Mallory Cemetery is located about 1 1/2 miles south of the Ambia community, in the southwest quadrant of the county. The cemetery is on County Road 24200 about one mile off Farm Market Road #2122. It is in Block 46 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. There is a State Highway sign marking the turnoff. Going south, it is on the right hand side of the dirt road across from the Mallory home about 50 yards into the woods. GPS coordinates are 33° 33' 50.96 N, 95° 39' 40.32 W.
There are 7 graves surrounded by a chain link fence that is sometimes difficult to see from the road because of the trees and brush. From the records of Elizabeth Booth: 'J. M. Mallory purchased 1/2 section. While hunting in this area James Mallory saw deer entering a thicket. He sent slaves to see why deer were going into a thicket and found a spring and this prompted J. M. Mallory to purchase this land.' The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Young B. Mallory who died 29 Nov 1864. The cemetery was recorded in October 1991 by Debbie Burks and Ron Brothers.
The following persons are known to be buried here: Allen T. Mallory 13 Mar 1857 - 31 Aug 1912, James Mallory Jr. 15 Apr 1848 - 4 Jan 1910, Magdaline A. Mallory 4 Mar 1824 - 20 Feb 1905, Young B. Mallory 28 Feb 1846 - 29 Nov 1864, Sarah Mallory 15 May 1850 - 10 Jul 1861, Elizabeth Mallory Hawkins 30 May 1852 - 1 Aug 1899, Sarah Mallory 15 May 1859 - 10 Jul 1861 and James Mallory Sr. 3 Jan 1807 - 11 Nov 1879.
To search for names of those buried in this cemetery, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.