Jackson Cemetery, Lamar County, TX

Jackson Cemetery is located in the northwest quadrant of the county on Farm Market Road 2820 near Lake Gibbons about 5 1/2 miles from Loop 286 and Highway 79. It is in Block 30 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. It is no longer marked by a state highway sign.

In Paris, At the intersection of Loop 286 Northwest and FM 79, take FM 79 northwesterly for 3.4 miles to the intersection with FM 2820. Take FM 2820 southwesterly for 2.4 miles. The cemetery is on the right or north side of the road. It is beside the highway across a large ditch, surrounded by a fence and completely overgrown. You need to go around the cemetery to the north to see the stones lost in brush well over head high. It is not visible from the road due to trees.

GPS coordinates are 33° 41' 47.8320" N, 95° 39' 56.1600" W. (33.69662 Latitude and -95.66560 Longitude).

There are 4 marked graves, the oldest being that of Thomas J. Jackson, who died 12 Sep 1887.

From a biography of William Miller Jackson, written by Mary Mignon Rodgers Wright (a granddaughter of William Miller Jackson), Paris, TX, found in the records of Elizabeth Booth: "In 1887, William and Hannah Jackson lost a baby son and they opened to the public, the William Miller Jackson Graveyard on the corner of their home place, now FM Road 2820, about seven miles northwest of Paris, Lamar County, Texas. The Jackson Graveyard has only five graves but has been a landmark in the northwest part of Lamar County all these years"' The following persons are known to be buried here:

Golden Bessie Jackson 23 Jul 1898 - 2 Dec 1901
Hannah Erwin Jackson 30 Jan 1841 - 24 Oct 1924
Thomas J. Jackson Feb 1887 - 12 Sep 1887
William Miller Jackson 6 Apr 1837 - 26 Nov 1905
Nannie Othella Erwin 17 Apr 1880 -1893 — not found

Photo below courtesy of Lawrence and Sue Dale

.


.


To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.

To view headstone photos for this cemetery, click here.

To return to the map page, click here.

To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.