Highland Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Highland Cemetery is located in the southeast quadrant of the county on State Highway 271 south between Deport and Pattonville. It is in Block 51 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
From the traffic signal in Deport proceed northwesterly on Hwy 271for 1.2 miles to the intersection with CR 15400. Take Cr 15400 northerly for .15 miles to the intersection with Jeffus Street. Highland Cemetery is ahead on both sides .
GPS coordinates are 33° 32' 24.7632" N, 95° 20' 37.9111" W. (Latitude 33.5402120 and -95.3438642 Longitude)
The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Lillie A. Grant who died 1 Sep 1873. However, the first burial was that of Myrble Banane Guest who died 29 Sep 1925. According to Melba Ladd who keeps the cemetery records, all the tombstones dated prior to Sep 1925 were moved to Highland at later dates. The cemetery was recorded in February 1993 by Debbie Anderson, Betsy Mills, Ruth Renfro, Roberta Woods, and Ron Brothers. There were 1,926 graves at that time.
Photograph is courtesy of Lawrence and Sue Dale.
To search for names of those buried in this cemetery, click here.
To view pictures of the headstones, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.