Harris Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Harris Cemetery is located in the southeast quadrant of the county near the Sylvan community on the farm of Edgar Rader in 1970. It would be on County Road 13100 in Block 42 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
From the records of Elizabeth Booth: "Trees and vines completely hide this family cemetery. A barbed wire fence once used as a protective barrier had rusted and fallen down. There are seven graves here with the oldest being that the Infant Daughter of J. and M. A. Harris who was born in Mar 1863 and died aged three weeks."
Butch and Betsy Mills revisited the cemetery in 1993. They located it still owned by Edgar Rader. From the traffic signal in Reno on Hwy 82, take Hwy 82 easterly for 1.6 miles to the intersection with FM 2121. Take FM 2121 south for 1.7 miles to the intersection with CR 13100. Turn south on CR 13100, and travel about 4/10 of a mile. The cemetery is behind the third brick house on the left about 100 feet from the road. Lawrence and Sue Dale revisited in May 2014.
GPS coordinates are 33° 38' 12.6960" N, 95° 25' 44.5800" W. (33.63686 Latitude and -95.42905 Longitude)
There is evidence in Lamar County Deed Book 351, p. 598, that this cemetery could be one of the Skidmore Cemeteries. The following persons are known to be buried here: M. A. H. footstone, N. A. H. footstone, S. H. H. footstone, Eli Harris 27 Jul 1842 - 25 Feb 1880, Infant Daughter Harris Mar 1863, John Harris 5 May 1825 - 2 Feb 1874, and S. Harris 14 May 1860 - 30 Jan 1881.
No Photograph of the Cemetery Is Available
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.