Hardison Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Hardison Cemetery is located on the old Sylvan Road between Sylvan and Highway 271 East behind an old barn on the west side of the road from Sylvan, on the Theophlis Hardison survey. It would be in Block 42 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. No other specific road directions are in the Booth records.
From the records of Elizabeth Booth: "The Hardison family burying ground is located on the old Johns farm later owned by the Hardison family. The grave site is an iron fenced area said to contain graves. It is located behind a corral and is covered with honeysuckle vines and thorn bushes, about 200 feet from the gate entrance off the old Pattonville-Sylvan road." It is believed there are markers there covered by years of mulch, according to Elizabeth Booth. The 1850 Census of Lamar County shows Theophlis, 49, N. C.; wife Selina A., 43, VA.; Mary A., 16, AL.; Martha F., 14, AL.; James W., 6, TX. Theophlis Hardison removed to Alabama in 1827 and then to Texas in 1841, where he first settled near Pattonville, later moving near Sylvan. Was a member of Episcopal Church South. His father was James, a sailor and native of N.C. Muster Roll of Lamar County, shows a J. W. Hardison, 29th Cavalry, CSA, Capt. Jim Clark's Co. K., commanded by S. B. Maxey. J. W. was a farmer in 1870, and owned and operated a mercantile company in Blossom. He married Della Young, daughter of J. C. Young, in 1866. Sarah A. Lewis was the daughter of James Lewis and wife of Theophlis Hardison. She was born in 1807 and died in 1862. Theophlis was born in 1801 and there is no record of his death. There are 2 known graves.
No Photograph of the Cemetery Is Available
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.