Garner Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Garner Cemetery is located in the Gadston community in the southeast quadrant of the county. It is in Block 56 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
Turn east off Highway 19/24 onto FM 1184. Proceed .5 miles to CR 14760 and turn south. Cemetery is on the right 2.3 miles south of the intersection of 1184 and 14760. It is behind a house at 2352 CR 14760 on the right side of the road. The cemetery was recorded in January 1993 by Betsy and Butch Mills. There are only 12 graves in this small plot.
GPS Coordinates are 33° 29' 31.36 N, 95° 34' 52.08 W.
From the records of Elizabeth Booth: 'Mr. Dewey Preston of the Gasden Community relates this information of the people and incidents of the James Garner family. Mr. Preston recalls having heard a Mr. Moss, an early Lamar County settler tell of Mr. James Waters and his trip to California during the gold rush. Must have been Mr. Waters did not find fortune nor fame as he returned to Lamar County, Texas and the Gasden Community. In this community Mr. Waters built and operated a roadhouse and for many years, he would accommodate the weary traveler. James Garner was a prominent farmer and stockman.' The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Julia Ann Garner, wife of James Garner, who died 23 Jul 1882. The following persons are known to be buried here: L. B. footstone, James Garner 22 Dec 1835 - 10 Mar 1908, Julie Ann Garner 18 Jan 1842 - 23 Jul 1882, L. A. Garner 22 Oct 1846 - 28 Jul 1927, Gertrude Konkle (birth and death are not known), A. L. Garner Randall (birth and death are not known), Infant Son Randall 17 Dec 1895 - 17 Dec 1895, John V. Randall 28 Jul 1894 - 4 Jan 1895, and Mary A. Waters 2 Mar 1822 - 25 Apr 1893.
To search for names of those buried in this cemetery, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.