Forest Chapel Cemetery, Lamar County, Texas
LOCATION: Forest Chapel Cemetery is located in the northwest quadrant of the county on Farm Market Road 197 and County Road 35780, about 1 1/2 miles from Chicota, in the community that bears the same name. It is in Block 7 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. DIRECTIONS: In Paris, at the intersection of Loop 286 North and Hwy 271 North, take Hwy 271 north for 12.8 miles to the intersection with FM 197 in Arthur City. Take FM 197 westerly for 5.3 miles to the intersection with CR 35750. The cemetery is on the right (or north) beside the Forest Chapel Methodist Church. GPS COORDINATES: 33° 51' 49.32" N, -95° 35' 39.12" W
(33.86370 Latitude -95.59420 Longitude)
OLDEST KNOWN BURIAL: The oldest inscribed grave is that of Nettie Holder Long, who died 10 Jan 1870. NUMBER OF GRAVES: There are 1087 known graves. SIGNS/MARKERS: There are no signs for the cemetery. LAST ENUMERATION: Forest Chapel Cemetery was last visited by Mary Hall Ferguson to update cemetery photos in June 2016. ADD'L INFORMATION: James Russell Hicks had been instrumental in locating many unknown graves and their related families. Ruth Renfro and Roberta J. Woods kept a permanent record of the burials, but both are deceased now.
PICTURE(S): Photo below courtesy of Lawrence and Sue Dale.
To view pictures of the headstones, click here.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the list of cemeteries, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.
Special thanks to Jeff Kemp for designing the Lamar County banner.
|Hosted by Lamar County Internet Provider Starnet Online Systems.
Copyright © 1996 - present - The Lamar County TX Website Team
This website adheres to the NGS "Standards for Sharing Information with Others" regarding copyright, attribution, privacy, and the sharing of sensitive information.