Faith Cemetery, Howland, Lamar County, TX
Faith Cemetery is a Black Cemetery and is also known as Howland Cemetery. It has also been mentioned as Rollerson Cemetery in at least one obituary. It is in the southwest quadrant of the county in Block 55 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
It is located along a creek between County Roads 24210 and 24220 about .3 mile south of County Road 24200 in a closed pasture belonging in 1995 to the Moss Family. From the intersection of Hwy 19 & 24 south of Paris and the intersection with FM 1184 take FM 1184 westerly for 2.6 miles to the intersection with CR 24200, Take CR 24200 westerly for 1.8 miles to a pasture gate. Due south of this gate 4/10 miles is the cemetery. The cemetery is enveloped in trees and occupies about 2 acres where there is evidence of probably more than 200 graves. One should ask permission to gain entry.
GPS coordinates are 33° 30' 44.4240" N, 95° 38' 57.4440" W. (33.51234 Latitude and -95.64929 Longitude)
There are 128 records of burials there (June 2014), first discovered in the Rodgers and Wade Funeral Records and another reference in Lamar County Death Record Book #2. The earliest burial is that of Sallie Clark who died 25 Dec 1889. The cemetery was surveyed in April 1995 by Butch and Betsy Mills and Ron Brothers. Mary Hall Ferguson photographed the cemetery in June 2010. The cemetery was revisited and updated in May 2014 by Lawrence and Sue Dale.
Photograph below is courtesy of Lawrence and Sue Dale.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To view pictures of the headstones, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.