Durham Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Durham Cemetery, also known as Sikes Cemetery, was known to have many graves sometime ago but vandals and cattle have left but 3 graves to be identified. It is located in the northeast quadrant behind a barn on the Old Wheeler farm about a mile west of the Faught community crossroads. From the Faught Community proceed westerly on FM 195 for 4/10 mile to the intersection with CR 43380, Take CR 43380 northerly for 4/10 mile and the cemetery is on the left behind a barn in a grove of trees. It is in Block 26 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993.
GPS coordinates are 33° 44' 15.3234" N, -95° 26' 8.8074" W (33.73759 Latitude and -95.43578 Longitude).
The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Hardic Aquilla Durham, who died 5 Jun 1910. The oldest known grave is that of J. N. Sikes who died 30 Jan 1888. Names were recorded in April, 1991, by Ron Brothers. Cemetery was revisited in April 2014 and no headstones were found, although land owner assured that there were some there.
LOST, ABANDONED, FAMILY AND SMALL COMMUNITY CEMETERIES, a compilation of cemetery listings copied between 1930 and 1965, by Patricia Armstrong Newhouse of Honey Grove, had information that added 3 more graves to the list that were not found in April 1991. At present there are 8 known graves. The following persons are known to be buried here: Mary Culverson 30 Sep 1845 - 15 Mar 1910, Hardric Aquilla Durham 9 Jun 1902 - 5 Jun 1910, Unknown Child Durham 18 Jun 1906 - 18 Jun 1906, C. C., Infant of Randolph died 12 Apr 1912, J. N. (or J. W.) Sikes 4 Dec 1883 - 30 Jan 1888, Robert Sikes 27 Nov 1832 - 8 Feb 1900, W. P. Welch 8 Feb 1890 - 1 Mar 1914.
Photo below courtesy of Lawrence and Sue Dale.
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.