Burris Cemetery, Lamar County, TX


The location of Burris Cemetery is not known but would be in Block 59 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. Found in the Daughters of the American Revolution Cemetery Collection enumerated in 1940, donated by the Joseph Ligon Chapter of Paris and copied by Sallie Lee Lightfoot of Paris. The book was located in the Corsicana Genealogical Library, Corsicana, TX., by Betsy Mills and Elizabeth House. The cemetery is in the southeast quadrant of the county, 'Located about one mile west of Deport in what is now [1940] Dave Westbrook's pasture. It is the land which was the homestead of Dr. William M. Burris. The inscriptions on the tombs are unreadable but the graves are those of Dr. Burris, his wife, daughter and son. The dates... were copied from the old Burris Bible.' The oldest inscribed grave in the cemetery is that of Sarah Ann Harris who died 11 Nov 1858. There are 5 graves in the cemetery. The following persons are known to be buried here: John A. W. Burris 16 Aug 1847 - Death not known, Matilda Carter Burris 28 Dec 1810 - Death not known, Sarah Ann Burris 11 Jul 1841 - 11 Nov 1858, William M. Burris 18 Jan 1799 - 5 Jun 1880 and Dr. William M. Burris, no dated inscriptions.

GPS coordinates are not available yet.

 

Photograph of the Cemetery Is Not Available Yet

 

To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.

To return to the map page, click here.

To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.