Blossom Black Cemetery, Lamar County, TX
Blossom Black Cemetery was found while searching for Griffis Cemetery on 20 Feb 1993. Carmen Burks, Betsy Mills and Ron Brothers were taken to an abandoned Black Cemetery on private property. Two graves were found, those of J. W. White and Will Aikins, but there was evidence of perhaps 100 graves in this heavily wooded area. The owner called it an old slave's cemetery, two miles east from the town of Blossom, next to the Missouri-Pacific Railroad. The cemetery is not accessible by developed road and is due north of Farm Market Road #194. It is in Block 35 of the Lamar County Road Map produced by American Drafting and Services revised December 1993. The owner told that about 1987 there was a train derailment right on the cemetery and that railroad crews came through with bull dozers and destroyed most of the cemetery and its markers. It is not known what the true name of the cemetery is and it is assigned this name for now. At present there are 5 recorded graves. According to another source there are more graves on the other side of the tracks. Johnnie Lee abstracted the following deed in Book U2, p. 363: 'deeded by Elizabeth, P.G., Thomas and Sheb Bason to Lee Reynolds and Claborn Daniels, trustees of Oak Hill Missionary Baptist Church, 2 acres on the north side of T & P railroad tracks on the B.J. Drummond Headright, being on the west boundary line of said headright, 12 Jan 1884.' The following persons are known to be buried here: Will Aikins 1869 - 10 Oct 1917, Eld. P. Herrod 5 Jun 1822 - 19 Apr 1889, Diannor Marvill 10 Jan 1820 - 11 Feb 1886, Mahalie Shelton Born not known - 6 Jan 1913 and Jake W. White 1857 - 14 Dec 1906.
GPS coordinates are not available yet.
Photograph of the Cemetery Is Not Available Yet
To search for names in this and other cemeteries, click here.
To return to the map page, click here.
To return to the main Lamar County, TX page, click here.